A♠J♠ vs a Tight Opponent, what do you do here?

AJ vs a Tight Opponent-optimized.gif


DECISION POINT:
In a Tournament, it folds around to a somewhat tighter player who raises in the Cutoff seat. Action folds to you in the Big Blind with A♠J♠, what do you do?

PRO ANSWER: We can reshove preflop with AJs from the Big Blind when the Cutoff player open raises with a 21 big blind stack. Even if the Cutoff player is a little tighter, this play will still be profitable.

Let's assume this player is somewhat tighter than usual from the Cutoff and has a range of about 20% of all hands (22+, A2s+, KTs+, QTs+, JTs, ATo+, KTo+, QTo+, JTo). How many of these will call an all-in?

For a tight player perhaps around 7% of all hands (66+, AJs+, AQo+) would be a reasonable calling range after we shove.

Continued below...

Ask a Pro Static - 300x250.png


Given those opening and calling ranges, we will win the pot uncontested preflop around 65% of the time. The other 35% of the time, our opponent will call our all-in with 66+, AJs+, AQo+. We have around 38% equity against that range.

Overall we profit just under 2 big blinds by shoving preflop from a pure Chip EV (chip expected value) standpoint. Even if our opponent is opening as few as 13% of all hands and calling with around 7% of hands, this play would still be slightly Chip EV profitable.

Reshoving preflop is the best play.

What would you do here?
Share your answer in the comments below!