Tour Terms with LearnWPT - 3-Bet
Hey WPT Fans!
Welcome to Tour Terms, where we break down key strategy terms from the pages of WPT Live Updates and give you helpful tips to use in your next tournament. Today’s Tour Term is ...
three·bet \ ˈthrē ˈbet \
1) The act of raising after another player has raised the initial bet amount in. For example, in a tournament where blinds are 25-50, Player A opens the pot to 150 preflop and Player B raises to 450. In this instance Player B is 3-Betting the pot.
Example of 3-Bet in a Sentence
Tony raised preflop to 150 and LuckyChewy 3-Bet to 450 with A♠5♠.
So, What Hands Should You 3-Bet With 🤔?
Fighting back vs aggression from your opponents can be stressful and it’s hard to know exactly when you should reraise and which hands to do it with. Watch this in-depth Strategy Episode with LearnWPT Lead Instructor Nick Binger as he breaks down the key factors you should look for when deciding to 3-bet:
5 Key 🗝️ Reminders for 3-Betting:
- In order to win tournaments you can’t simply wait for good cards
- 3-Betting is key to winning pots without showing down your hand
- Target players with medium sized (30 to 50 big blind) stacks to pressure with 3-bets
- Players opening the pot from late position are likely to have wider hand ranges
- Avoid 3-Betting with bad cards in cash games
The Cup 🏆 Awaits!
You are a big stack at a WPT Final table with a 50BB stack and the Mike Sexton Champions Cup on the line! The Button, who has a 30BB stack, raises first-in. You 3-bet, and the Button flat calls your raise.
Now it’s time to test your skills and play a FREE Final Table sample of 5 hands in the WPT GTO Trainer. Your goal is to keep "EV Loss" in the green and close to 0, good luck!
Remaining Payouts (% of Prizepool): 1st = 20% | 2nd = 14% | 3rd = 9% | 4th = 6.7% | 5th = 5% | 6th = 4%
🖥️ Watch 3-Betting In Action!
3-Betting is a powerful move that experts use to pressure opponents and force even the toughest players to retreat.
Check out this hand from WPT Season XIII for an in-depth look at a 3-bet pot with big money on the line and watch as Nick demonstrates how this Pro perfectly puts theory into practice.
Want More Tour Terms?
With a massive library including 450+ on-demand video Strategy Episodes (from top Pros including Tony Dunst and Andrew “LuckyChewy” Lichtenberger!), dozens of downloadable charts and tools, direct access to the LearnWPT Pros, and the state of the art WPT GTO Trainer, you’re certain to find the answers to your most pressing poker questions.
During your next tournament or session give these new 3-Betting strategies a try and you'll become tougher to play against and keep your opponents on their heels more often.
Good Luck and Good Playing,
Have Questions about LearnWPT? Send an email to our Support Team at [email protected] or click the red Contact Us button and they will be happy to help!
TRAIN - PLAY - THINK
LIKE A PRO