Poker Tournament Strategy Tips From LearnWPT
Are you in Vegas for the live tournament grind this summer and looking to brush up your skills?
Check out this free collection of No-Limit Texas Hold'em poker tournament strategy tips and tools from Team LearnWPT featuring 3x WPT Champion Brian Altman, WSOP bracelet winners Andrew "LuckyChewy" Lichtenberger, Nick Binger, Vanessa Selbst and Tony Dunst plus renowned Mental Game Coach Jared Tendler.
Team LearnWPT is here to help keep you focused and make sure you are ready to make your big score 🏆.
Get Mentally Prepared for Poker Tournaments
Mental Game Coach Jared Tendler has been on the rail helping WSOP winners succeed for over a decade! Watch this LearnWPT Strategy Episode from Jared as he provides a game plan for getting your tactical and mental game strategy ready for success and helps you prepare for a demanding poker schedule.
Poker Tournament Preparation Quick Tips:
- Keep it simple! Don't start introducing new concepts - focus on known issues in your game
- Develop and work on a poker routine based on good sessions
- Go through a pregame warm-up before each session
- Take "no poker" breaks to reset and reserve energy
- Manage your over excitement
5 Poker Tournament Strategy Keys 🔑
These 5 Key Factors are important for you to think about every time you play a hand and they will guide your decisions on later streets:
- Always be aware of Position
- Know the Stack Depth and Effective Stack in terms of big blinds
- Assign Preflop Ranges (not a specific hand) based on each player’s position and how they entered the pot
- Note the Number of Opponents seeing the flop
- Understand the Board Texture and how it affects your next move
Brush up on the Key Factors by watching these Strategy Episodes:
The 5 Keys Of Poker Tournament Strategy Quick Tips:
To build mental muscle memory for these concepts in real-time, focus on the 5 Key Factors even when you are NOT in the hand. Notice hands that were shown down, you’ll find an interesting trend...
- The more players that see the flop, the stronger the average hand will be at showdown
- The more coordinated a board is, the more likely it is someone has a strong draw or made hand
- Multiway and Coordinated? You’ll likely see the strongest possible hands in a player’s range at showdown
How the Pros Maintain Championship Focus
Team LearnWPT is no stranger to the bright lights of the final table and big money pressure. Get insight from some of the best in the game!
In this Strategy Episode LearnWPT Instructor and poker legend LuckyChewy gives you insights to recognize misapplied poker concepts and how they can cause leaks in your tournament game.
Countering Common Misapplied Poker Concepts:
- Calling a c-bet is not mandatory after defending preflop
- Avoid going on auto-pilot on the river after calling flop and turn
- Raising Ace high on dry & scattered flops is not always preferred
Watch and listen as 3x WPT Champion and LearnWPT Instructor Brian Altman gives you his expert approach to identifying targets to bluff and the specific strategy to help maximize your success rate.
What You Can Do to Find More Bluffs:
- Pay VERY close attention to opponent betting tendencies and shown cards
- Seize initiative in the hand through betting and leading flops
- A balanced bluffing range is crucial to maximizing your success
Watch this Strategy Episode from LearnWPT Instructor and WPT Commentator Tony Dunst for key insights on how world-class players think through hands street by street.
Making Moves Quick Tips:
- Making moves is necessary to becoming a winning player
- Moves work best against fewer opponents. Rarely bluff in multiway pots
- You must become comfortable with situational poker
Check out this Strategy Episode from LearnWPT Instructor Vanessa Selbst as she answers Student submitted questions regarding c-betting in multiway pots and key factors for becoming a dominating professional player.
Overcoming Your Fears Quick Tips:
- Aggression wins in No-Limit Hold'em poker
- Practice making moves! Fear prevents us from accumulating lots of chips and becoming a chip leader
- Enjoy playing the game and you'll have a better chance of success and reaching your goals
Have What It Takes To Win a Tournament?
Think you have what it takes to take down the championship and outwit a world-class Pro? It’s time to challenge the world’s perfect opponent - The WPT GTO Trainer!
Play these 5 hands to test your skills and learn the exact move to make. After playing watch the Strategy Episode for a detailed breakdown of each decision point as LearnWPT Instructor Nick Binger analyzes the same hands you just played. Good luck!
With 50 big blind stacks you open raise to 2.5BBs from Middle Position and the Button calls
Do your best to choose the ideal action at every point. Your goal is to keep "EV Loss" in the green and close to 0.
P.S. After playing the hands click the WATCH NOW button to follow along as Nick plays the exact same hands and learn the "why" behind the correct plays.
Tell Us How You Are Doing
We LOVE hearing about the success LearnWPT Students are having, just like Sue winning WSOP Gold!
Good Luck and Good Playing!
If you see Team LearnWPT in the field be sure to stop and say Hi 👋
P.S. Played a hand you were unsure of? LearnWPT Members send them in using the Ask a Pro Forums for help from our Pros.
Improve Your Game Today!
Join LearnWPT and Get:
- The WPT GTO Trainer to play real solved hands and get instant feedback on YOUR leaks (over 4 BILLION solved spots!)
- On-demand access to our full library of 500+ (and growing) in-depth Strategy Episodes from world-class players
- All of your poker questions answered with the Ask a Pro Feature
- Expert analysis from LearnWPT Pros using The Hand Input Tool
- Downloadable Tools you can use at and away from the tables
- Learn from a Team of world-class Professional Players and Instructors
To join (just $5 your 1st month) click the button below and start improving your game!
Have Questions about LearnWPT? Email us at [email protected].